This is a mani with a meaning.
So today is World Diabetes Day and I thought I would take this opportunity to help raise awareness for this illness as I have a number of family and friends with both type one and type two. One of whom has supported this post and provided me with the facts. She is a brilliant mum, campaigning hard to raise awareness and make the life of her son and other peoples children easier. Knowledge = Power!
Anyway... Here are a few facts:
1. Type one in children is NOT caused by obesity. It's a chronic, life-threatening, auto-immune disease.
2. People with diabetes are NOT allergic to sugar.
3. Insulin does not cure diabetes, it is merely a tool to maintain life.
4. Diabetes is NOT contagious so it's fine to let your kids play with those that have it, they're no different.
5. Type one diabetes is a chronic auto-immune disease. Type 2 is a metabolic disease that it caused by lifestyle and diet. Neither can be cured.
6. Type one diabetes CANNOT be cured and injections and finger pricks DO hurt , but it has to be done.
7. Type one in children affects the WHOLE family. By concentrating on the child with the condition, sometimes you forget about their siblings, unintentionally of course.
8. Kids may have type one but the most important thing is they are normal and they do have feelings.
9. Type one in children stays with them for life and NO they won't grow out of it and it's NOT a phase.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.